Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Tweetup of [Somewhat] Epic Proportions

Mutiny of The Amistad
I'm always on the hunt for new events to attend, especially artsy ones.  I had been wanting to go to see the Hale Woodruff exhibit at the High Museum, so imagine how excited I was when I saw they were having a tweet up?! It was a combo of two interests of mine: art and twitter, they rock! It was also a frugal (read: free) way to see the art work. 



I walked over from work and I expected a mingling/meet and greet. I walked over to the check in table and found out that it was like a scavenger hunt and we were to tweet about the exhibit as went along using the #hightweetup hashtag. While I was walking along, I found out some info about Hale Woodruff.  I had no idea he was a professor at Atlanta University and was also commissioned to do some paintings for the Atlanta Housing Authority.  Some of his murals depicted the mutiny of the Amistad, the trial of Joseph Cinque and after his release.  The other murals depicted the start of Talladega College and the construction of their library.  The murals were actually affixed to the walls in the library.

There was also a photography exhibit of photos from the south, taken by photographers from other locations.  It gave a fresh perspective from non southern eyes.  There were also photos from NYC over many decades in another exhibit.

Woodruff's paintings were so vivid and detailed, I was completely amazed and impressed. I just find it so amazing that there is so much history here in the city that I am not aware of and who knows how long it would take to discover it all.  I really should make a list of places where I want to go.  I've done that with restaurants and I've gone to a good number of them.  Sounds like a plan!  See the pictures that I took below.

Trial of Cinque
Woodruff painted himself
into the trial audience


Cinque after being released

 
Slaves receiving their freedom papers
            
Former slaves enrolling in Talladega College


Construction of Savery Library

No comments: