Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I made my first hair product!!

As you can tell from some of my previous posts, I'm natural.  Surprisingly, it seems I use more hair products now than when I had a relaxer.  The hair products that I like get to be a bit expensive after a while... $30 a jar of styling creme just won't do.  I'm trying to be more frugal but use healthy products at the same time.  I guess while I've been a product junkie, I've also been a product snob.

Thanks to one of my friends, I found out about Naptural85 on YouTube.  I love her channel so far.  While I have not tried a lot of her hair styles because I'm either lazy or feel like my hair isn't long enough, I really wanted to try her flaxseed gel and her shea butter cream recipes.  I decided to do the flaxseed gel first because I like to do wash 'n gos.  Maybe I'll use it for an updo of some sort too.

The recipe was pretty simple. I made a small batch since she said it keeps like 3 weeks with the oils and refrigeration.  I put 1/4 cup flaxseeds to 2 cups of water and put the mixture to boil.  I only had to boil and stir for about 5 minutes until it got viscous.  I got a small bowl and put a knee high over it to strain the seeds and gel like Naptural did.  I had a minor snafu because my tongs were metal and not 100% straight so they ripped the knee high... I dropped a few seeds in my gel, but I figured it'd be ok.  I also couldn't strain as much of the gel out of the seeds, so I just put them in an air tight bowl and put them in the fridge too.  They were way too hot for me to try to squeeze it all out by hand.  I added Vitamin E oil and Shea oil to the gel.  I did not have all the essential oils she used, but I've been wanting to try that Shea oil for my hair.  I'm excited to use it.

I got these from Publix for like $4.

Shea oil from The Body Shop

Vitamin E oil

1/4 cup flax seeds

Flax seeds and water before boil

Just as mixture starts to boil


Just viscous enough to finish

After I poured the mixture into the bowl/knee high

After I added the oils. I think I added too much

Fin!


No comments: