Saturday, June 02, 2012

Hair Update

After the big chop
I began my natural hair transition in December 2009. I decided that I would finally transition and not get anymore relaxers. It was my second time going natural and I was determined to complete the journey. Well, after transitioning for 8 months, I got tired of two textures and decided to cut my hair. I was just telling my friend about this earlier after we finished bike riding.  After my hair was cut, I had about an inch of hair when it was pressed.  I never thought I'd cut my hair off, but I found it to be quite liberating. I didn't have to go through a long process to do my hair anymore.

Well, August this year I will have been completely natural for two years.  I rarely press my hair but I decided to get my hair pressed yesterday. I was quite happy with the progress my hair has made after a short period of time. I will admit that I don't quite do as much to my hair as I should and I'm still learning how to take care of my hair in its natural state.



My progress after almost 2 years
 I love the wash n' go type of hairdo, but because my hair is longer, this may not be the best way to go anymore. I find that my hair gets quite tangled but I'm not sure if that's because of the length or because I don't get my hair trimmed regularly.  I think my next goal is to learn how to properly seal moisture into my ends and definitely take better care of my hair...

To the right, you'll see how much my hair has grown. I definitely get shrinkage, so when I wear a 'fro, it doesn't really give an idea of how much my hair has grown. In the 3rd picture, you can see my hair is down my back, past my shoulders... I had to get at least an inch cut off because I had been avoiding getting trim. Either way, I'm happy with my length and my new red color!! Since I've been natural, I've definitely been dyeing my hair. I have only tried variations of red and I absolutely love it.

No comments: