Saturday, June 02, 2012

Tour de Cure

On Sunday, May 20, I did something I've never done before.  I rode 37, yes 37, miles in the Tour de Cure.  The purpose of the Tour de Cure is to raise awareness about Diabetes and also hopefully help the American Diabetes Association find a cure for this horrible disease.

Initially, I just wanted to ride to push myself as a part of my fitness journey.  I've said before that I'm trying to make an effort to take better care of my body and be more active. Diabetes runs in my family and I definitely don't want that to happen to me. I want to keep all of my limbs and I don't want to be on medicine. So rather than be reactive about my health, I decided to be proactive and exercise.


We were supposed to arrive for pictures, but I had already planned to get up in enough time to sit down, eat breakfast and chill before I went to the park.  I had a minor snafu, as usual :), that caused me not to leave when I planned to... so by the time I drove across town, parked, and got to the starting area, the 37 mile group was lining up to take off. I was just in time!!! (I was late, lol.)

Overall, I had quite a bit of fun and took advantage of every rest stop along the route.  The route wasn't extremely hilly, but it seems that every time I got over one hill, another was coming up. I will admit that I had to have a conversation with God about halfway through to finish. I was quite proud of myself when I finished because it's the furthest I've ever ridden on my bike and I have raised more money than I expected. I'm appreciative to everyone that trained with me and supported me throughout this endeavor. I definitely plan on riding next year though I'm not quite sure that I will do the 60+ mile option.

No comments: